On June 17, 2008, plaques were placed in front of 8 historic buildings in the town. 7 of the plaques include an historic photo of the building as well as a history of the building and the people involved in the building. The 8th plaque contains the design for a centennial pin for King Solomon Masonic Lodge as well as a brief history.
The following buildings have identifying plaques and 7 of the 8 are found on First Street. From west to east, there is the Chapman house, the *Howard Block , the * Rockyview Hotel, * Andison Block, *Andison’s store and St. Andrew’s United Church. The 8th building is the Masonic Lodge and is located on Centre Avenue.
*indicates that the plaques are across the street from these buildings.
Cochrane’s First Hospital
It is our hope that CHAPS can preserve and restore the first home that was built to be used as a hospital in Cochrane. Built in 1909 by Thomas Davies for his family, the resident doctor at the time, Dr. Park, asked that part of the house be used as a nursing home. Mrs. Davies, along with her daughter Annie Beynon, a nurse, operated the home until around 1915.
As of January 1, 2012, CHAPS gained ownership of this building. At this point it is still uncertain where the building will have to be relocated to, but now we have some control over the fate of this building. Once it is set on a permanent sight, we will work on getting it up and running as Cochrane's museum.
Cochrane Ranche Cairn
With the permission of the Town of Cochrane and the Alberta Government, we have built a cairn commemorating 4 enterprises that operated on or near the Ranche site after the British American Ranch was sold. The plaques commemorate the following: “Collins Brickyard”, Beynon-Davies Dairy Farm”, “Cochrane Creamery” and “Duncan Shelley Stone Quarry”. The unveiling of this will be announced in the Spring in the local newspapers.
More Big Hill Country
A committee was formed in 2006 of CHAPS members to collect, compile and publish family histories, business histories and local histories of Cochrane and the surrounding area. After four years from the time the first story was received the book, More Big Hill Country, was published. The launch of this book was December 19, 2009. This is a companion book to the 1977 Big Hill Country book. Two members of the book committee were also part of the first book committee. Margaret Buckley became the Editor of the new book and Ellen Buckler collected stories as well as proof read stories. The idea for the book came from Marilyn Whittle, who also co-chaired the committee with help from Bernice Klotz. The typing of every story was done by Lynda Alderman. Then Gayle Want took on the task of taking care of the finances. There was a dedicated group of people helping with the book. Among the group was Dorothy Anderson, Bev Genung, Shannon Want, Shirley Thomas, Betty Trosch, Jean MacKenzie, Arlene Hepburn, Elizabeth Stone, Angus MacKenzie, David Beattie, Gordon Davies, Ken Thompson, David Whittle, plus many others including writers of individual stories. The book was made ready for publishing by David Callaway.